Skip To Content

Is Your Northern Utah Home at Risk this Christmas?

Bright lights and candles brings Christmas cheer this time of year throughout Northern Utah, but it also may be a cause of home fires, too. This time of year we tend to use more candles to decorate and focus on the beauty it brings, instead of the danger. Here are a few tips to keep your Holiday safe.


According to Ogden’s Public Safety, there are more candle fires in the winter months than other months. Candle fires often start in living rooms, dens & dining room. “Between 1993-1997, candles caused an annual average of 8,690 home fires, responsible for averages of 104 deaths, 948 injuries and $126 million in property damage each year.” * City of Ogden

candle 3In addition to the information above, the National Fire Protection Association also suggests:

  • Keep candles away from natural and artificial Christmas trees
  • Keep candles away from all holiday decorations
  • Place burning candles where they can’t be bumped or brushed against
  • Arrange table candles safely away from flammable centerpieces and hanging decorations
  • Use candle holders that: are sturdy, won’t tip over easily, are made from a material that can’t burn, and are large enough to collect dripping wax
  • Place candle holders on a sturdy, uncluttered surface – away from edges and any place where they could be knocked over by children or pets
  • Light candles carefully. Keep your hair and loose clothing away from the flame
  • Keep candle wicks trimmed to one-quarter inch
  • Extinguish candles when they burn down to within two inches of their holder and any decorative material
  • Extinguish candles carefully, using a long handled candle snuffer or a soft, directed breath
  • Do not leave the room until wicks have stopped glowing
  • Do not leave young children unattended in a room with a candle
  • Don’t allow children or teens to burn candles in their bedrooms
  • Never use a candle where medical oxygen is being used. The two can combine to create a large, unexpected fire
  • Don’t place lit candles in windows, where blinds and curtains can close over them, or pass handheld candles from one person to another
  • To lower the risk of fire, candles should be used by only a few designated adults
  • Extinguish all candles when you leave the home or go to sleep

In the event of a power failure, avoid using candles for emergency lighting.If your electrical service goes out, use flashlights and battery-powered lamps when possible.Don’t carry lit candles and don’t use a candle for light when adding kerosene or any flammable fuel to a heater, lantern, or other devise. The flame could ignite the fumes.

*References from the National Fire Protection Association

Perhaps consider using battery-operated flameless “candles” which appear to look like lit candles and can come in many scents as well.

Christmas-time is the time to be merry and bright – let’s do it safely!!

Be sure to follow us on Facebook now more than ever!! We’re always up to something, especially this time of year!!

Trackback from your site.

Leave a Reply